.

Sunday 8 February 2015

The Will of John Breton, of St James Colchester (1500)

BRETON, JOHN. - 20 May, 1500.  Of the parish of St. James, Colchester, gent. To be buried in the chapel of St. Peter within the church of St. James aforesaid. To the high altar of the same, for tithes and offerings forgotten, 6s. 8d.  To the fabric of the church of St. Paul, London, 12dA fit chaplain of good and honest conversation to celebrate for my soul in the church of St. James for the space of one year, according to the pleasure of my executors, and subject to what money may be left after the payment of my debts. To the friars minor of Colchester, for a trentall, 10s.  To John Coole, "ffeuller, 8s. 6d.
To the parish church of St. James aforesaid, in satisfaction of a debt of 33s. 4d., which sum I received ad opus ecclesie  einsdem, 40s., and one woollen cloth 24 yards l ong.
To my wife, Joan, all my goods.  My lands in Brich Magna {Great Birch} and Leier Breton {Layer Breton} to be sold, and the proceeds to be devoted to pious uses for the benefit of my soul and the souls of my benefactors, at the discretion of my executors . [He also mentions lands, tenements and stalls, lately belonging to John Vertue, jun., in Colchester]. Executors: my wife, Joan; Thomas Cristemesse, junior.  Witnesses: John Smallpece; Thomas Northen; Richard Jakson.
In Latin.  No probate act.    (F. 43b; also P.C.C. , Moone F. 13.)



{Taken from ‘Essex Wills at Canterbury’, by Revd. G M Benton, Transactions of the Essex Archaeological Society, Volume 21, Part 2.}

No comments: