News: Now available. Proceedings of the Chelmsford Conference £15. A review of recent archaeology in Essex. Our Annual Report 2014 may be viewed online. Members of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History may subscribe to digital downloads of our back catalogue of publications. Use Contact Form for more information.

Sunday, 24 March 2013

'Annales of England' by John Stow: Essex Extracts


Annales of England – John Stow

The following are extracts from a book published in 1605, the year of John Stow’s death.  The book is introduced as “A BRIEFE DESCRIPTION OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND, WALES AND CORNWALL”, set out in chronological order and running to 1437 pages, abruptly ending in July 1605.

The book has recently been accessioned to the Library of The Essex Society for Archaeology and History in the Albert Sloman Library, University of Essex.

Page 1166
“1581
Mice devour the grasse at Danesey.
About Hallowtide last past, in the marshes of the Danesey Hundred in a place called Southminster in the countie of Essex, a strange thing hapned: there sodainlie appeared an infinite multitude of mice, which overwhelmed the whole earth in the said marshes, did sheare and gnaw the grasse by the rootes, spoyling and tainting the same with their verimous teeth, in such sort, that the cattell which grazed thereon were smitten with a murerine, and died thereof, which vermine by policie of man could not be destroyed, till, at the last it came to passe that there flocked together all about the same marshes, such a number of owles as all the shire was not able to yield: whereby the marsh-holders were shortly delivered from the veration of the said mice.”

Page 1169
“1582
John Paine executed at Chelmeford
John Paine priest, being indicted of high treason for words by him spoken to one Eliot, was attained and condemned at Chelmesford on the last of March, and was there executed on the second day of Aprill.”

Friday, 22 March 2013

ESAH160: Transactions Contents: 'New Series' Volume 16

ESAH160: Transactions Contents: 'New Series' Volume 16: Transactions ‘New Series. Volume 16 Contents Volume XVI, Part I I.                     The Heart of St Roger.  By J H Round...

ESAH160: Transactions Contents: 'New Series' Volume 10

ESAH160: Transactions Contents: 'New Series' Volume 10: Volume 10, Part 4 - available from our Online Bookshop Completing the sequence of Contents for 'Old Series' Volumes 1 - 5 and &...

ESAH160: Colchester Castle and book stall is next Society v...

ESAH160: Colchester Castle and book stall is next Society v...: The shell of Colchester Castle, emptied of museum artefacts before a major refurbishment, is the next meeting of the Essex Society for A...

Essex 1927: Coggeshall


Sunday, 17 March 2013

'Annales of England' by John Stow: Essex Extracts


Annales of England – John Stow

The following are extracts from a book published in 1605, the year of John Stow’s death.  The book is introduced as “A BRIEFE DESCRIPTION OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND, WALES AND CORNWALL”, set out in chronological order and running to 1437 pages, abruptly ending in July 1605.

The book has recently been accessioned to the Library of The Essex Society for Archaeology and History in the Albert Sloman Library, University of Essex.

Page 1115
“1565
Tempest at Chelmsford
The 16 of July, about nine of the clocke at night began a tempest of lightning and thunder, with showers of haile, which continued till three of the clock the next morning so terrible that at Chelmsford in Essex 500 acres of corne were destroyed, the glass windows on the east side of the tower, and the west & south sides of the church were beaten downe, with also the tiles of their houses, beside diverse barnes, chimneies, and the battlements of the church which were overthrown.  The like harme was done in many other places, as at Leedes, Cranelnooke, Dover & c.”

Page 1135
“1572
Sir William Peter deceased.
The thirteenth of January deceased William Peter knight, who for his judgement and pregnant wit, had bene Secretary and of privy counsell to foure kings and queenes of this realme, and seven times lord ambassador abroad in foraine lands: he augmented Exeter colledge in Oxford with lands to the paine of an hundred pound by yeare: and also builded ten almes houses in the parish of Ingerstone for twenty poore people, ten within the house, and ten without the house, having every one two pence the day, a winter gowne, and two loade of wood, and among them feeding for six kine winter and sommer, and a chaplaine to say them service daily.”

Saturday, 16 March 2013

Colchester Castle and book stall is next Society visit - Saturday 6 April 2013

The shell of Colchester Castle, emptied of museum artefacts before a major refurbishment, is the next meeting of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History.  Members will be taken on an hour-long tour of the Norman building which contains a significant amount of Roman material from the time when the town was a significant Roman settlement. 

Members can meet for tea from about noon at Castle Methodist Church adjacent to the Castle.  Hollytrees Museum is open to the public but members may have the opportunity to view the Librarian's Office.  The Society will also be having another book sale of surplus books, having on offer an entirely different selection to those brought along to the Morant Lecture. 

Non Members may also come along to the book sale. Let us know you are coming please to avoid disappointment. 

Friday, 15 March 2013

ESAH160: ESAH160: Essex Society for Archaeology and History...

ESAH160: ESAH160: Essex Society for Archaeology and History...: ESAH160: Essex Society for Archaeology and History: Morant ... : The annual Morant Lecture will be given on Friday 15 March 2013 at 7.30pm a...

ESAH Forum: Where is this?

A mystery photograph has surfaced in the office of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History.  But where has it been taken?  Can you help?


Thursday, 14 March 2013

Essex Place Names Project



ESSEX PLACE-NAME PROJECT

The Essex Place-name Project (EPNP), adopted by the Society in 1996, seeks to record and investigate field names and minor place names for the historic county of Essex. The initial stage of the project involves volunteers, individuals, groups, and local societies, transcribing the mid 19th century tithe awards for Essex onto a database. The database is available for public consultation at the Essex Record Office and interested volunteers should also inquire at the Essex Record Office for further information.

The database can be viewed online

The Essex Place-names database contains names of fields, roads, inns, houses, farms, manors, places, rivers, streams, woods, etc, and names of owners, tenants, landlords, parties to agreements etc, recorded from historic documents such as Tithe Awards, Rental Agreements, Surveys, Maps, Rolls, Inquisitions, Deeds, Charters.

The database is therefore of use to historians, genealogists, linguists, archaeologists and philologists. It is hoped its use will lead to identification and distribution of archaeolgical sites and historic buildings, will enable analysis of place-names as an indicator of early settlement, landholding and agricultural practices, will refine more precisely descriptive words and word-elements given by early settlers to topgraphical features, enable family historians to trace back owners and occupiers of land.

The Essex Place Names Project is looking for more volunteers.

Volunteers (local societies, groups or individuals) are encouraged to record their parish to be added to the database. To ensure county-wide uniformity of recording, template forms (on paper or disc) are issued to Recorders by the Central Coordinating Committee (c/o Essex Record Office, Essex Place-names Project, Wharf Road, Chelmsford CM2 6YT). Full Guidelines, Help and Training Days are provided. Potential Volunteer Recorders are invited to inquire by letter to the ERO or by email which will be read by the Central Coordinating Committee periodically.  Please leave your name and contact details.

Parish Place-name booklets which contain in hard copy field- and other place- and personal names with additional information are available for purchase from the Essex Record Office book counter tel. 01245-244644

The Essex Place-names Project has been supported by Council for British Archaeology, Essex County Council, Essex Heritage Trust, Essex Society for Archaeology & History, 'Awards for All: Lottery Grants for Local Groups' and Friends of Historic Essex.

Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Publications & Research Fund


Publications and Research Fund

The Publications and Research Fund supports the publication of articles in each Volume of Transactions as well as Occasional Papers.  Donations are placed in an inalienable account, which cannot be spent.  It is the Interest thereon which is distributed by awards granted by our Council.  As at December 2011 the projected value of the fund (including interest) stands at £50,018.  Donations payable to the Essex Society for Archaeology and History by cash / cheques; Gift Aid Schemes, ‘In Memoriam’ Donations; Bequests by Wills; donations of acceptable books.  Please address enquiries to our Treasurer.

Tuesday, 12 March 2013

ESAH Occasional Papers



OCCASIONAL PAPERS – OLD SERIES

The following three occasional papers were produced on the initiative of G.M. Benton, the Society’s Hon. Secretary (1923-53), Editor (1929-59), and President (1950-55). All relate to historical records and received financial and other support from the Essex Record Office.
No. 1   J.L. Fisher, ed., Cartularium Prioratus de Colne (1946).
No. 2   F.G. Emmison, ed., Guide to the Essex Quarter Sessions and other Official Records (1946).
No. 3   E. Chapin Furber, ed., Essex Sessions of the Peace, 1351, 1377-1379 (1953).
Enquires about availability should be made via our Online Bookshop


OCCASIONAL PAPERS – NEW SERIES

This New Series of Occasional Papers is designed to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the foundation of our Society in 1852. It has been funded by the Society’s Publications Development Fund which has proved so successful since its establishment in 1992. The Society is pleased that the New Series is being produced in collaboration with the Essex Record Office.
The New Series aims to provide well-illustrated popular guides to topics of archaeological and historical interest relating to the historic county of Essex. They will concentrate on providing topics previously neglected, and, it is hoped, may stimulate further research.
No.1    John Hunter, Field Systems in Essex (published in 2004)
Available from our Online Bookshop.
 Price in UK: £4.00 per copy plus postage and packing.

Monday, 11 March 2013

Feet of Fines




FEET OF FINES

The calendar of Feet of Fines for Essex was launched in 1899, at first published in parts but later gathered into four volumes. The series was later extended by two more privately produced volumes.
Volume 1. 1182-1272, ed., R.E.G. Kirk (1910)
Volume 2. 1272-1326, ed., R.C. Fowler (1928)
Volume 3. 1327-1422, ed., S.C. Ratcliff (1949)
Volume 4. 1423-1547, ed., P.H. Reaney and M. Fitch (1964)
Volume 5. 1547-1580, ed., M. Fitch and F. Emmison (Leopard’s Head Press, 1991)
Volume 6. 1581-1603, ed., F.G. Emmison (Leopard’s Head Press, 1993)
Please contact via our Online Bookshop for more information.

Sunday, 10 March 2013

'Annales of England' by John Stow: Essex Extracts


Annales of England – John Stow

The following are extracts from a book published in 1605, the year of John Stow’s death.  The book is introduced as “A BRIEFE DESCRIPTION OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND, WALES AND CORNWALL”, set out in chronological order and running to 1437 pages, abruptly ending in July 1605.

The book has recently been accessioned to the Library of The Essex Society for Archaeology and History in the Albert Sloman Library, University of Essex.

Page 966
“1536
Henry, Duke of Richmond
The 22 of July, Henry Duke of Richmond and Somerset, earle of Nottingham, a bastard son of K. Henry, borne at Blakamore in Essex, of the lady Tailboise, that time called Elizabeth Blunt, died at St James, and was buried at Thetford in Norfolke.”

Page 1112
“1563
Tempest at London.
The 8 of July, in the morning, hapned a great tempest of lightning & thunder, wherethrough a woman and three kine were slaine in the Covent garden neere to Charing crosse.  At the same time in Essex a man was torne to peeces as he was carrying hay, his barne being borne downe, and his hay brent: both stones and trees were rent in many places.”

Saturday, 9 March 2013

'Collection of Antiquities' in Colchester Castle

A Guide to the Collection of Antiquities. The property of The Corporation of Colchester and The Essex Archaeological Society* by Henry Laver F.S.A., Honorary Curator. 1893.  (Otherwise a guide to Colchester Museum.)

* Now the 'Essex Society for Archaeology and History'





Friday, 8 March 2013

ESAH160: Essex Society for Archaeology and History: Morant ...

ESAH160: Essex Society for Archaeology and History: Morant ...: The annual Morant Lecture will be given on Friday 15 March 2013 at 7.30pm at Chelmsford Museum.  The topic will be 'On the move, The...

Essex Place Names Project


THE ESSEX PLACE-NAMES PROJECT

The Project needs more recorders.   If the subject interests you, more information can be found at www.essex.ac.uk/history/esah/PlaceNames.asp.   Should you wish to volunteer the contact point is the Essex Record Office searchroom  at ero@essex.gov.uk.

Thursday, 7 March 2013

Online Book Shop - Bookstall at Morant Lecture - 15 March 2013

The following books will be available for sale at the Morant Lecture on 15 March 2013. For more information go to our Online Bookshop page.


Ref B10:   Antiquity: Vol. 57 No. 219 (March 1983), Vol. 57 No. 220 (July 1983), Vol. 58 No. 223 (July 1984).  Many more copies available
Ref B1:    Archaeologia Cantiana, being contributions to the history & archaeology of Kent.  Vol. 104 (1987)  Vol. 107 (1989)  
Ref B1:    Archaeological Journal: (Royal Archaeological Institute) Vols 124 (1967), 126 (1969), 127 (1970) 
Ref B1:    Barking Record: 92 (May. 1976) 
Ref B10:    Berkshire Archaeological Journal:  Vols. 62, 63, 64, 65, 66 (covering 1965/6 – 1971/2) 
Ref B10:     Catalogue.  Newsletter of Colchester Archaeological Trust: Newsletter Nos. 3 (x3), 5 (x2), 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15. 
Ref B1:     Cornish Archaeology: No. 29 (1990)   
Ref B1:     Current Archaeology: No. 41 (Chelmsford / Colchester interest), 70, 71, 72 (Colchester), 73, 74, 75, 77, 94. 
Ref B1:     History.  193. 
Ref B10:     History Today.   Jan-Dec 1966, Jan-Dec 1967, Jan 1975, Feb 1975, Mar 1975, Apr 1975, May 1975, Jun 1975
Ref B1:     Journal of Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland vol 126 (1996) 
Ref B10:     Local Population Studies 7-8, 10, 11, 13, 16. 
Ref B1:     The Suffolk Review: Vol 4 No 5 (Summer 1977) 
Ref B2:      Herefordshire Birds: 1954 (2 copies), 1975
Ref B2:     Essex Countryside:  No. 49 (Feb 1961), No. 50 (Mar 1961), No. 51 (Apr 1961), No. 53 (June 1961), No. 55 (Aug 1961), No. 56 (Sep 1961), No. 57 (Oct 1961), No. 58 (Nov 1961)  
Ref B2:     The Regulations of the City of Hereford incl the Assize of Bread and Ale 1557 (1945)    
Ref B2:     Herefordshire Coleoptera by J R le B Tomlin (1950) 
Ref B2:     Liverpool Cathedral Official Handbook (1924) 
Ref B2:     Journal of the British Archaeological Association (Sep 1891) - no cover 
Ref B2:     Cambridgeshire and Huntingdonshire Archaeological Proceedings (c1901)
Ref B2:    The Last Testament and Inventory of John de Veer 13th Earl of Oxford by Sir William H St Hope John (1915)
Ref B2:     Roman Leicester.  A Paper.  (1851) by J F Hollings 
Ref B2:    History of Caston, Norfolk.  Parts 1 & 3. By John S Barnes
Ref B2:   The Brasses of Norfolk Churches by Roger Greenwood & Malcolm Norris (1976) [2 copies] 
Ref B2:   The Fanshawe Family (4 booklets) 1868-1871 [reference to Barking and Dagenham] 
Ref B2:  The Wards of the City of Norwich. Their Origins and History. By the Revd. William Hudson MA (1891) 
Ref B2:    The Curfew. Its origins and history.  By L Cresswell. Gentleman’s Magazine. 
Ref B2:    British Archaeology: 37 (Sep 1998), 38 (Oct 1998), 39 (Nov 1998), 40 (Dec 1998), 41 (Feb 1999), 43 (Apr 1999), 49 (Nov 1999), 50 (Dec 1999)   

Ref B2:      Essex Journal.  Summer 1986. [Roman Coggeshall, Harlowbury excavations, etc] 
Ref B2:      Local History. 30 (April 1991) [Mee, featuring Finchingfield on cover]   
Ref B2:    The Historian. 10 (Spring 1986), 100 (Winter 2008), 102 (Summer 2009) 
Ref B2:    Trans. Newcomen Socy Vol XII 1933  (Vol 12).  "Men of Straw: An Account of Surviving Straw Handicraft by Thomas B Hennell.  (read at the Chartered Institute of Patent Agents, November 25th 1931)"  Loose pages 15-29. 

Ref: B2:   London Boy to Farmers Boy - by Eric Lascelles [1908-2001]  (2001) 
Ref: B2:  Essex Homes - Essex County Council (4th edition, 1978)  
Ref B2:  A Living Society.  Celebrating the History of Colchester and East Anglian Co-operative Society - Jonathon Meade (1999) 

Ref B3:  Essex Local History.  A Short Guide to Books & Manuscripts - compiled by Gladys A Ward for the Essex Committee of the National Register of Archives. 1950.  [approximate A5 size. 36 pages.  includes photographs of Chelmsford Manor Bye-laws 1564; Inventory of a Husbandman's Goods 1638; Aldham map 1639; Mrs Slany's Remedies 1715]
Ref B10:  Catalogue.  Newsletter of Colchester Archaeological Trust: Nos 2-20 inclusive
Ref B3:  Aisleless Apsidal Churches of Great Britain by F H Fairweather (Colchester, 1933)    2 copies
Ref B3:  Churchill and Chartwell.  Robin Fedden    (National Trust 1986)

Ref B3:  Guidebooks / booklets / pamphlets / ephemera
(Cornwall) (Tintangel)  'King Arthur' Tintagel Castle & Celtic Monastery - 34th edition (1980) 
(Devon) (Morwellham) Morwellham Quay in the Tamar Valley - Frank Booker (1983)  [Predates BBC TV location for 'Edwardian Farm']
(Essex) (Colne Engaine)  Colne Engaine. The Story of an Essex Parish. (1974)
(Essex)  (Dedham)  "Essex branch of the Council for the Protection of Rural England.  In 1973 The Duchy Barn, Dedham was opened...
(Essex) (Dedham)  The Parish Church of St Mary Church - Canon A R Johnston (1971)
(ESsex)  (Dedham)  John Constable Painting & Countryside - James Pawsey  (undated)
(Essex) (High Laver)  All Saints Church High Laver.  John Locke 1632-1704  (c1982)
(Essex) (St Osyth)  St Osyth's Priory. An account of the history of the Priory and the East Wing of the Gatehouse and its contents.   (English Life Publications, 1980)
(ESsex) (Waltham Abbey) A Walk Round Waltham Abbey. Monastery and Town. By K N Bascombe (1974)
(Herefordshire)  (Hereford)  A Walk Round Hereford Carhedral
(Hertfordshire) St Michael's Church Bishop's Stortford - Joe G Smith (1974)
(Humberside)  (Kingston-upon-Hull) Wiberforce House Hull. History & Collections 17th edition (1978)
(Kent) (Maidstone)  Maidstone. An Outline History- John |Hilton (1979)
(Kent)  (Tenterden)  The Parish Church of St Mildred Tenterden  (c1987)
(Lincolnshire)  (Lincoln)  Lincoln City & County Museum Publications No 15.  General Guide - by Arthur Smith (May 1913)
(Norfolk) (Salle)  Salle [church guide] (c1973)
(Norfolk) (Felbrigg)  Pigeons for Food.  Felbrigg Hall  - A5 card
(Norfolk) (Hingham)  Hingham in History  - by M E Lonsdale   (c1982)
(Norfolk) (Norwich)  The Assembly House, Norwich (c1982)
(Norfolk) (Thetford)  Norfolk & Norwich Archaeological Society.  Vol xvi page 39-45.  Thetford Castle Hill - communicated by W G Clarke (undated but old)
(Suffolk) (Shotley) St Mary's Church, Shotley. A Short Guide & St Mary's Church, Shotley. A Church-Crawler's Notesheet
(Wiltshire) (Salisbury)  Historic Salisbury including Stonehenge  (J Salmon) (c1985)
(Yorkshire)  (Harpham)  Roman Villa at Harpham, East Yorks - by Thomas Sheppard (undated - part of unknown publication)
(Yorkshire) (Kiburn)  Kilburn, Yorkshire [village guide]
(Yorkshire) (York)  The York Story (c1980)

Congress of Archaeological Societies in union with The Society of Antiquaries of London.  Report of the Research Committee for the year 1939  (1942)  

Congress of Archaeological Societies in union with The Society of Antiquaries of London.  Report of the 54th Congress and the reaesrch Committee for the year 1937  (1938)

Memorandum on the Ancient Monuments Acts.  Council for British Archaeology - 2nd edition revised 1954

Two Confreneces on the use of Museums in Promoting 'Nature Study' in Schools.  Saturday October 10th 1908 & Saturday February 20th 1909.  Reprinted from the Essex Naturalist Vol XVI pp31-45 July 1909  .  Published by the Essex Field Club.

Railway Police Journal.   October 1948,  October 1949,  April 1950.   

World Book Day

Celebrate World Book Day by visiting our Online Bookshop

We have current and back numbers of the 'Transactions of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History' for sale.  View the (now) complete Contents List on this blog. For a specific topic, why not use the 'search' facility at the top of the page?

We also have a number of (mainly secondhand) history and archaeological books, which we do not require for accession to our Library, at very low prices. 

Also, put a date in your diary.  On Friday 15 March (7.30pm) before and after the Morant Lecture we will be having a bookstall.  We will have available used secondhand copies of 'Series 3' of our Transactions at a special one off price of £1 per copy.  

Wednesday, 6 March 2013

Transactions Contents: 'Series 4' Volume 1

Transactions of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History:  Fourth Series.  Volume 1 (2010)

Contents
Assessing the contribution of commercial archaeology to the study of Roman Essex, 1990-2004:  Neil Holbrook
Excavation of a Roman landscape and prehistoric features at Elsenham Quarry, Elsenham:  Stephen Hammond & Steve Preston
Roman Billericay: excavations by the Billericay Archaeological and Historical Society 1970-1977:  M Medlycott, the late S Weller & P Benians
Roman settlement, pottery production, and a cemetery in the Beam Valley, Dagenham:  Edward Biddulph, Kate Brady, Ben M Ford & Paul Murray
A new perspective on the coinages of early Roman sites in Essex:  Mark Curteis
Roman and post-medieval archaeology at Pierrefitte Way, Braintree:  Andrew A S Newton
Carved in stone: a late Iron Age and Roman cemetery and evidence of a Saxon minister, excavations near St Nicholas Church, Great Wakering 1998 and 2000:   Ruarigh Dale, the late David Maynard, Susan Tyler and Tom Vaughan
Ripple Road, Barking: environmental evidence for Thames-side Medieval parklands or open gardens:   Michael J Allen, Cornelius Barton, A J Chapham & Rob Scaife
The fifteenth-century building accounts of the Duchy of Lancaster in Essex:  Pat Ryan
Waltham Forest: a Cambridge manuscript:  Richard Morris
Robert Rich, 2nd Earl of Warwick and the government of Essex 1619-1629:  Christopher Thomson
Wivenhoe House: a tale of two lost 18th century mansions and the sea-captains who built them:  Pat Marsden  (view online: http://www.wivencyclopedia.org/History/Wivenhoe%20House%20for%20blog%2022%2005%2012.pdf )
The accounts of Augustus Veley: a peripatetic master teaching French, 1808 to 1814:  David Tomlinson
The Essex workhouse master 1760-1837:  Jane Pearson
Rev. John Howard Marsden: rector of Great Oakley and first Disney professor of archaeology at Cambridge University:  Michael Leach
Seymour Street brickworks, Chelmsford: archaeological investigations 2001:  E M Heppell, A Letch, M Peachey & P Ryan
Archaeology in Essex 2009: Phillippa Sparrow
Shorter notes:
An upper Palaeolithic flint knife from Othona:  Hazel Martingell
Saxon skeleton at Bradwell on Sea:  M Medlycott & E M Heppell
Figures of St John from late medieval processional crosses found in Essex:  Phillip Wise
Book reviews
Essex Bibliography:  Andrew Phillips & Paul Sealey

Tuesday, 5 March 2013

Transactions Indexes: 'Series 3' Volumes 1-20 and Volumes 21-30

Essex Archaeology and History: Index to Volume 1-20 (2008)
Transactions of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History

Introduction
Denis Buxton [Ongar}
Index

Essex Archaeology and History: Index to Volume 21-30 (2011)
Transactions of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History

Introduction: Charlotte Fell Smith
Index

Transactions Contents: 'Series 3' Volume 40

Essex Archaeology and History: Volume 40 (2009)
Transactions of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History

Contents
Grant of Arms to the Society:  Thomas Woodcock, Norray and Ulster King of Arms
Paul William Jex Buxton:  Michael Leach
David T-D Clarke:  G Mark R Davies
Nancy Raymonde Edwards (nee Briggs):  H Martin Stuchfield
West Thurrock: Late prehistoric settlement, Roman burials and the medieval manor house, Channel Tunnel Rail Link excavations 2002:  Phil Andrews
Iron Age and early Roman settlement at the former Rainham Squash and Snooker club: excavation 2004:  Alexandra Grassam
Excavations at Southern Slopes, on land at Rectory Close, Colchester:  Peter Boyer
Balkerne Heights, Colchester: Roman suburban development and cemetery use:  Vaughan Birbeck
Roman and medieval Remains at 83 High Street, Great Dunmow:  Phillippa Sparrow
An archaeological excavation at Claret Hall, Ashden
A Hedingham Ware kiln at Great Bardfield:  Kate Orr and Howard Brooks
Sir John Harlestone: ‘... a most remarkable and eminent man in his time’:  Geoffrey Carter
Archaeology in Essex 2008:  Alison Bennett
Historic Buildings and church notes and surveys 2008:  David Andrews
Shorter note
Rural activity in Early Roman Romford:  Jonathon Butler and Kevin Rielly
Book Reviews
Essex Bibliography

Monday, 4 March 2013

Transactions Contents: 'Series 3' Volume 39

Essex Archaeology and History: Volume 39 (2008)
Transactions of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History

Contents
William Raymond Powell:  H Martin Stuchfield
Kenneth Hall:  Victor Gray
Ambrose James Fawn:  G Mark R Davies
The Rounds of Witham during the First World War and ‘Cousin John Horace Round’:  Thomas McIver and the late W Raymond Powell
The archaeology of the A133 Little Clacton to Weeley by-pass:  Alec Wade and Richard Havis
A Late Bronze Age to Early Iron Age enclosure and an early Anglo-Saxon cremation cemetery at the Chalet site, Hall Road, Heybridge:  Andrew A S Newton
A Roman Road and an Iron Age and Romano-British Settlement in The Rodings:   Peter Sharp
The Old Slaughterhouse, Stour Street, Manningtree:  Phillippa Sparrow
The East and Middle Saxon estates of Westminster Abbey:  James Kemble
The Wheel of Fortune and the Bohun Family in the early fourteenth century:  Jennifer Ward
Archaeology in Essex 2007
Shorter notes
Roman remains of 145-145a Moulsham Street, Chelmsford:  Andrew Robertson and Joyce Compton
Medieval activity at land to the rear of 32 High Street, Kelvedon
Medieval and post-medieval quarrying, tanning and domestic activity at 96 North Street, Barking:  Pip Stone and Mike Lully
Book review
Essex Bibliography

Transactions Contents: 'Series 3' Volume 38

Essex Archaeology and History: Volume 38 (2007)
Transactions of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History

Contents
Excavations of Mesolithic and Neolithic flint scatters and accompanying environmental sequences at Tank Hill Road, Purfleet, 2002:  Matt Leivers, Catherine Barnett (nee Chisham) & Phil Harding
Prehistoric and medieval remains at 20-22 London Road, Maldon: excavations, 2003 and 2004:  Andrew Robertson
Evidence of Roman agricultural drainage: excavation south of the former A120, Takeley, 2003:  Ben Roberts
A Roman cemetery at Sampford Road, Thaxted:  D Stansbie, K Brady, E Biddulph & A Norton
Roman deposits at Lynmouth Gardens / Parkway, Chelmsford; excavations, 2003:  Kate Nicholson & Ben Roberts
Excavations at the former Shell Garage site, 84-88 Moulsham Street, Chelmsford:  Leonora O’Brien with Ben Roberts
Excavations at the former Dovercourt Motors site, Spital Road, Maldon, 2002:  Ben Roberts
A pyramid seal matrix of Sir John Marney (1402-c.1471):  John Ashdown-Hill
The history of chimneys in Essex:  Pat Ryan
Location? Location? Location?: place, patronage and meaning of the wall painting of ‘Jonah and the whale’ at Waltham Abbey:  Natalie Mears
Grist to the mill: a history of Wivenhoe Mill from 1086 to the mid-twentieth century:  Pat Marsden
The archaeology of a siege: Camulodunum reconsidered:  John Mabbitt
Archaeology in Essex 2006:  Alison Bennett & Richard Havis
Shorter Notes
A Late Iron Age and early Roman site at Coleman’s Farm, Rivenhall End:  Mike Roy
An Anglo-Saxon silver strap-end from High Easter:  Michael J Caddeford
An early medieval hanging bowl mount from Good Easter:  Michael J Caddeford
Excavations at Hadleigh Castle, 2004:  Trevor Ennis & Mike Roy
Post-medieval remains at chapel of St-Thomas-a-Becket, Brentwood, archaeological investigations, 1997:  Richard Havis
A study in Georgian Colchester, 12 & 13 St Botolph’s Street:  Philip J Wise
Book reviews

Sunday, 3 March 2013

An Insula of Roman Colchester (3): Transactions 'New Series' Volume 16 Part 1

An Insula of Roman Colchester was one of the most important archaeological discoveries in Essex during the twentieth century.  The work was undertaken, and written by Mortimer Wheeler. Published by the forerunner of the Essex Society for Archaeology and History in 1921 and now made available for the first time online.

Part 3 (of 3)